Exceptional Learners Consulting offers Wilson Reading System (WRS) tutoring. WRS is intended for students grades 2-12 and adults who may exhibit word-level deficits, may require multisensory language instruction, or who may need structured literacy instruction due to a language-based learning disability (such as dyslexia). The program is based on research in phonological-coding and on Orton-Gillingham principles. WRS focuses on fluent decoding (breaking written word into sounds - reading) and encoding (using sounds to build and write words) skills.
Your child may need this level of instruction if he/she exhibits some of the following characteristics:
- unable to decode accurately (use proper sounds for the letters in a word)
- reads quite slowly or word by word (lacking fluency)
- often guesses at words
- may be able to read many words (sight words) but struggles to read unfamiliar words
- has poor spelling skills
- has a language-based learning disability
- has not been successful with other learning strategies
Your Wilson Reading tutor will assess your child and determine if this level of intervention is needed.